Has anyone decoded mp4 file with libavcodec?

Has anyone decoded mp4 file with libavcodec?

John Smith-107

I tried a code to decode mp4 (H264) using libavcodec (avcodec-51.dll).
Decoding keeps failing.
avcodec_decode_video returns 0 with got_picture=0.

What's the porblem?

Re: Has anyone decoded mp4 file with libavcodec?

Luca Abeni
John Smith wrote:
> I tried a code to decode mp4 (H264) using libavcodec (avcodec-51.dll).
> Decoding keeps failing.
> avcodec_decode_video returns 0 with got_picture=0.
>
> What's the porblem?

Is the "ffmpeg" program able to transcode the file? If yes, then there
is a problem in your code.

                                Luca

Re: Has anyone decoded mp4 file with libavcodec?

John Smith-107

Yes, "ffmpeg" program able to transcode it.
But what I am saying is to use libavcodec library programatically.
Is it needed a special preparing for mp4 decoding?

For any other codec and container, my code decodes smoothly.

John Smith wrote:
> Yes, "ffmpeg" program able to transcode it.
> But what I am saying is to use libavcodec library programatically.
> Is it needed a special preparing for mp4 decoding?

ffmpeg.c contains the answer to your question ;-)

                        Luca

Re: Has anyone decoded mp4 file with libavcodec?

John Smith-107

Thanks.> Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 14:30:13 +0200> From: [hidden email]> To: [hidden email]> Subject: Re: [libav-user] Has anyone decoded mp4 file with libavcodec?> > John Smith wrote:> > Yes, "ffmpeg" program able to transcode it.> > But what I am saying is to use libavcodec library programatically.> > Is it needed a special preparing for mp4 decoding?> > ffmpeg.c contains the answer to your question ;-)> > > Luca> _______________________________________________> libav-user mailing list> [hidden email]> https://lists.mplayerhq.hu/mailman/listinfo/libav-user

Re: Has anyone decoded mp4 file with libavcodec?

Michael Conrad-6
On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 08:14:08 -0400, John Smith <[hidden email]>
wrote:
> Yes, "ffmpeg" program able to transcode it.
> But what I am saying is to use libavcodec library programatically.
> Is it needed a special preparing for mp4 decoding?

I would like to emphasize that the source of ffmpeg.c and ffplay.c are
actually the official "documentation" of how to use the library.  Boheme's
tutorial and Dranger's tutorial are meant to help explain what is going
on, but they are not regularly updated, where ffplay.c and ffmpeg.c are
always kept current.

If you have enough understanding of C to use libav*, then you likely
should have enough ability to read these two source files.  They will show
you the proper order to call libav functions.

This list is mainly meant for questions that can't be answered by those
files, or strange bugs that a libav developer might be able to help with.
If you can ask very specific questions, it is more likely that a person
who knows the answer will respond.  (assuming anyone knows the answer)

--
Michael Conrad
IntelliTree Solutions llc.