[Libav-user] 7.1 audio in aac codec

Gonzalo Garramuño
I am trying to encode 7.1 audio in an aac codec in my program, but the
codec only supports up to 6 channels and I get an error to that effect
if I try to force it to use AV_CH_LAYOUT_7POINT1. However, ffmpeg (the
utility) can do it.

Can anyone guess what I am missing?

--
Gonzalo Garramuño

Re: 7.1 audio in aac codec

Carl Eugen Hoyos-2
Am Fr., 9. Aug. 2019 um 21:41 Uhr schrieb Gonzalo Garramuño
<[hidden email]>:

> I am trying to encode 7.1 audio in an aac codec in my program, but the
> codec only supports up to 6 channels and I get an error to that effect
> if I try to force it to use AV_CH_LAYOUT_7POINT1.

Please provide sample code, 7.1 is supposed to work fine with the
native aac encoder.

Re: 7.1 audio in aac codec

Gonzalo Garramuño

El 9/8/19 a las 17:05, Carl Eugen Hoyos escribió:
> Am Fr., 9. Aug. 2019 um 21:41 Uhr schrieb Gonzalo Garramuño
> <[hidden email]>:
>> I am trying to encode 7.1 audio in an aac codec in my program, but the
>> codec only supports up to 6 channels and I get an error to that effect
>> if I try to force it to use AV_CH_LAYOUT_7POINT1.
> Please provide sample code, 7.1 is supposed to work fine with the
> native aac encoder.
>
> Carl Eugen
Never mind me.  I was saving with the ac3 encoder.  Sorry for the noise.

--
Gonzalo Garramuño

Re: 7.1 audio in aac codec

Gonzalo Garramuño

El 9/8/19 a las 17:33, Gonzalo Garramuño escribió:

> El 9/8/19 a las 17:05, Carl Eugen Hoyos escribió:
>> Am Fr., 9. Aug. 2019 um 21:41 Uhr schrieb Gonzalo Garramuño
>> <[hidden email]>:
>>> I am trying to encode 7.1 audio in an aac codec in my program, but the
>>> codec only supports up to 6 channels and I get an error to that effect
>>> if I try to force it to use AV_CH_LAYOUT_7POINT1.
>> Please provide sample code, 7.1 is supposed to work fine with the
>> native aac encoder.
>>
>> Carl Eugen
> Never mind me.  I was saving with the ac3 encoder.  Sorry for the noise.

Well, I was able to save aac 7.1 audio.  However, upon playback I get an
information message that says:

Assuming an incorrectly encoded 7.1 channel layout instead of a
spec-compliant 7.1(wide) layout, use -strict 1 to decode according to
the specification instead.

I use:

avctx->std_strict_compliance = FF_COMPLIANCE_STRICT;

and it removes one of the info messages, but not all.  Anyway, it would
be better if the messages were not produced at all.  I tried saving with
a channel layout of AV_CH_LAYOUT_7POINT1_SIDE but it resulted in noise
upon reproduction.

--
Gonzalo Garramuño

Re: 7.1 audio in aac codec

Carl Eugen Hoyos-2
Am Sa., 10. Aug. 2019 um 02:07 Uhr schrieb Gonzalo Garramuño
<[hidden email]>:

> El 9/8/19 a las 17:33, Gonzalo Garramuño escribió:
> >
> > El 9/8/19 a las 17:05, Carl Eugen Hoyos escribió:
> >> Please provide sample code, 7.1 is supposed to work fine with the
> >> native aac encoder.
> >>
> >> Carl Eugen
> > Never mind me.  I was saving with the ac3 encoder.  Sorry for the noise.
> >
> Well, I was able to save aac 7.1 audio.  However, upon playback I get an
> information message that says:
>
> Assuming an incorrectly encoded 7.1 channel layout instead of a
> spec-compliant 7.1(wide) layout, use -strict 1 to decode according to
> the specification instead.

This is correct.

> I use:
>
> avctx->std_strict_compliance = FF_COMPLIANCE_STRICT;
>
> and it removes one of the info messages, but not all.

> Anyway, it would be better if the messages were not produced at all.

Why do you think so?

> I tried saving with a channel layout of AV_CH_LAYOUT_7POINT1_SIDE
> but it resulted in noise upon reproduction.

Probably because your input is not 7.1(wide).

Re: 7.1 audio in aac codec

Gonzalo Garramuño

El 10/8/19 a las 00:24, Carl Eugen Hoyos escribió:
> Am Sa., 10. Aug. 2019 um 02:07 Uhr schrieb Gonzalo Garramuño
> <[hidden email]>:
>> Anyway, it would be better if the messages were not produced at all.
> Why do you think so?

Because they are bothersome and they look as something is wrong (which
it might be, but I would like it fixed then upon saving).

--
Gonzalo Garramuño