[Libav-user] Encoding MPEG DASH

Michael IV
Hi all.

I have two questions:

1) is there any example how to encode video (h264) into MPEG DASH?
I tried doing it with setting output file name to be with extension ".mpd" and
avformat_alloc_output_context2(&mOutputFormatContext, NULL, "dash", filename.c_str())

This setup produces single .mpd file and a number of video chunks with "m4s" extensions. The problem is, the video doesn't play. I tried with VLC,but it doesn't play neither my files nor some standard DASH files I downloaded from the web.
Then I tried to play it in DASH.js .And that JS lib fails at some point before the playback even started. I  validated the .mpd file in http://dashif.org/conformance.html

But when comparing the output files to the DASH demos from here:

I see that both file extensions of each chunks and the data inside the .mpd is different.

2)If I want to stream the chunks right after those encoded,without saving those to files,what's the best way to approach this using ffmpeg libs?

Tnx

Re: Encoding MPEG DASH

> Hi all.
>
> I have two questions:
>
> 1) is there any example how to encode video (h264) into MPEG DASH?
> I tried doing it with setting output file name to be with extension ".mpd"
> and
> avformat_alloc_output_context2(&mOutputFormatContext, NULL, "dash",
> filename.c_str())
>
> This setup produces single .mpd file and a number of video chunks with "m4s"
> extensions.

> The problem is, the video doesn't play.

Did you test with the cli to rule out a bug in FFmpeg or your
playback application?

Re: Encoding MPEG DASH

Michael IV
I have tried with dash.js and with VLC. In fact  vlc doesn't play even dash samples which I downloaded from the web. What is CLI?

On Sep 29, 2017 12:40 AM, "Carl Eugen Hoyos" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I have two questions:
>
> 1) is there any example how to encode video (h264) into MPEG DASH?
> I tried doing it with setting output file name to be with extension ".mpd"
> and
> avformat_alloc_output_context2(&mOutputFormatContext, NULL, "dash",
> filename.c_str())
>
> This setup produces single .mpd file and a number of video chunks with "m4s"
> extensions.

> The problem is, the video doesn't play.

Did you test with the cli to rule out a bug in FFmpeg or your
playback application?

Re: Encoding MPEG DASH

> I have tried with dash.js and with VLC. In fact  vlc doesn't play even dash
> samples which I downloaded from the web. What is CLI?

Please test encoding a dash sample with the FFmpeg command line
interface ("ffmpeg") to test for bugs in FFmpeg or your playback
application.

Please do not top-post here, Carl Eugen