[Libav-user] Fwd: Re: [Cin] Hang on trimming audio tracks?

[Libav-user] Fwd: Re: [Cin] Hang on trimming audio tracks?

Andrew Randrianasulu

Hello all!

Sorry for forwarding this message, but apparently some change in ffmpeg.git
made this assertion fire (Assertion fctx->async_lock failed
at libavcodec/pthread_frame.c:155)

I see few threading changes in https://git.ffmpeg.org/gitweb/ffmpeg.git/history/HEAD:/libavcodec/pthread_frame.c
but I sadly don't understand how they can inteact with CinelerraGG's internals in such catastrophic way
(assertion lead to abnormal program termination on video file load).

While ffmpeg 4.3 is not about to be branched 'tomorrow' I still think
I better to  report error here, so it will have some more visibility,
and more head scratching on what can be done about it.

Re: Fwd: Re: [Cin] Hang on trimming audio tracks?

Carl Eugen Hoyos-2
Am So., 7. Juni 2020 um 11:18 Uhr schrieb Andrew Randrianasulu
<[hidden email]>:

> Sorry for forwarding this message

Please run a bisect to make your message somewhat useful.

В сообщении от Sunday 07 June 2020 19:24:50 Carl Eugen Hoyos написал(а):
> Am So., 7. Juni 2020 um 11:18 Uhr schrieb Andrew Randrianasulu
> <[hidden email]>:
>
> > Sorry for forwarding this message
>
> Please run a bisect to make your message somewhat useful.

running it ..

so far https://git.ffmpeg.org/gitweb/ffmpeg.git/commit/091341f2ab5bd35ca1a2aae90503adc74f8d3523
(lavc/pthread_frame: Update user context in ff_frame_thread_free) seems to be good point, I marked it as such for bisect

> Carl Eugen

Re: Fwd: Re: [Cin] Hang on trimming audio tracks?

Carl Eugen Hoyos-2
Am So., 7. Juni 2020 um 22:16 Uhr schrieb Andrew Randrianasulu
<[hidden email]>:

> В сообщении от Sunday 07 June 2020 19:24:50 Carl Eugen Hoyos написал(а):
> > Am So., 7. Juni 2020 um 11:18 Uhr schrieb Andrew Randrianasulu
> > <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > > Sorry for forwarding this message
> >
> > Please run a bisect to make your message somewhat useful.
>
> running it ..
>
> so far https://git.ffmpeg.org/gitweb/ffmpeg.git/commit/091341f2ab5bd35ca1a2aae90503adc74f8d3523
> (lavc/pthread_frame: Update user context in ff_frame_thread_free) seems to be good point, I marked it as such for bisect

Sorry, I am not a native speaker:
Do you mean that you did a bisect, and 091341f is the offending commit?

В сообщении от Sunday 07 June 2020 23:28:28 Carl Eugen Hoyos написал(а):

> Am So., 7. Juni 2020 um 22:16 Uhr schrieb Andrew Randrianasulu
> <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > В сообщении от Sunday 07 June 2020 19:24:50 Carl Eugen Hoyos написал(а):

> > > Please run a bisect to make your message somewhat useful.
> >
> > running it ..
> >
> > so far https://git.ffmpeg.org/gitweb/ffmpeg.git/commit/091341f2ab5bd35ca1a2aae90503adc74f8d3523
> > (lavc/pthread_frame: Update user context in ff_frame_thread_free) seems to be good point, I marked it as such for bisect
>
> Sorry, I am not a native speaker:
> Do you mean that you did a bisect, and 091341f is the offending commit?

No, I just used it as starting point: git reset --hard this_commit in ffmpeg directory, and then let Cin's buildsystem
to do its work (reconfiguring, building and linking libavcodec into main application)

So far log looks like this:

guest@slax:/dev/shm/tmp/cinelerra-goodguy-20200607/cinelerra-5.1/thirdparty/ffmpeg.git$ git bisect log
git bisect start
# good: [091341f2ab5bd35ca1a2aae90503adc74f8d3523] lavc/pthread_frame: Update user context in ff_frame_thread_free
git bisect good 091341f2ab5bd35ca1a2aae90503adc74f8d3523
# bad: [bd6336b9702fc36683acda9ef1d70a6b038d179c] avfilter/vf_vaguedenoiser: add new type of threshold
git bisect bad bd6336b9702fc36683acda9ef1d70a6b038d179c
# bad: [ed3da72583298ed04a488e363bd3fa6d69ade165] s->target_i and global are in dB but s->target_tp and true_peak are linear. Instead of mixing these in the calculations, convert the former first to have all following calculations in the same unit.
git bisect bad ed3da72583298ed04a488e363bd3fa6d69ade165
# good: [f0d712d0f95ba757943cc6d49a8caa2e1adfb6e7] avformat/matroskaenc: Don't write elements with their default value
git bisect good f0d712d0f95ba757943cc6d49a8caa2e1adfb6e7

but bisect takes some time on my machine.

> Carl Eugen

Re: Fwd: Re: [Cin] Hang on trimming audio tracks?

Andrew Randrianasulu
В сообщении от Sunday 07 June 2020 23:28:28 Carl Eugen Hoyos написал(а):

> Am So., 7. Juni 2020 um 22:16 Uhr schrieb Andrew Randrianasulu
> <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > В сообщении от Sunday 07 June 2020 19:24:50 Carl Eugen Hoyos написал(а):

> > > Please run a bisect to make your message somewhat useful.
> >
> > running it ..
> >
> > so far https://git.ffmpeg.org/gitweb/ffmpeg.git/commit/091341f2ab5bd35ca1a2aae90503adc74f8d3523
> > (lavc/pthread_frame: Update user context in ff_frame_thread_free) seems to be good point, I marked it as such for bisect
>
> Sorry, I am not a native speaker:
> Do you mean that you did a bisect, and 091341f is the offending commit?

argh, it turned out at least on my end even
commit 75384bc464411fb2291105dca84b8bc411188350 (HEAD, tag: n4.2)
still give this assertion :/
I just need to try loading/undo few  times, and delete program's index files ...

No known good point for bisect :/
sorry, will report if/when some more ideas how to debug this will come....

> Carl Eugen

Re: Fwd: Re: [Cin] Hang on trimming audio tracks?

Carl Eugen Hoyos-2
Am Di., 9. Juni 2020 um 00:14 Uhr schrieb Andrew Randrianasulu
<[hidden email]>:

> argh, it turned out at least on my end even
> commit 75384bc464411fb2291105dca84b8bc411188350 (HEAD, tag: n4.2)
> still give this assertion :/

Did you try 3c1ecb05 ?

В сообщении от Tuesday 09 June 2020 01:23:55 Carl Eugen Hoyos написал(а):
> Am Di., 9. Juni 2020 um 00:14 Uhr schrieb Andrew Randrianasulu
> <[hidden email]>:
>
> > argh, it turned out at least on my end even
> > commit 75384bc464411fb2291105dca84b8bc411188350 (HEAD, tag: n4.2)
> > still give this assertion :/
>
> Did you try 3c1ecb05 ?

I just tried  this (commit 3c1ecb057d7621e57968624aa15ad3e9efc819f7 (HEAD, tag: n4.1-dev)
), still same assertion :/

So, I'm afraid something changed in Cinelerra itself, or may be I was just lucky before
(because I can't recall this specific assert firing previously - but it requires few attempts at

Thanks for your help ....