[Libav-user] GIF encoder transparency support

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[Libav-user] GIF encoder transparency support

jona
Hey Guys,

I've been working with GIF encoding and was trying to encode GIFs with transparency support but I'm having no luck. I'm getting black instead of transparency. I'm currently using "palettegen" and "paletteuse" filters to create nicer quality GIFs.

I have tried using GIF codec flag "gifflags=transdiff" and also "palettegen=reserve_transparent=1". I have also explored the code and see some hints that support is there but not completed?

Reading around the internet seems like the whole GIF transparency with ffmpeg isn't completed. So with that here my questions if anyone can answer them.

1. GIF transparency support not completed?
2. If transparency not completed what would it take to complete? What is it needed? Maybe I can try working on it.
3. Or, can someone who has already worked with GIF codec complete transparency support? I'm more than willing to donate some money to whoever can complete support. :)

Thanks!
- Jona


_______________________________________________
Libav-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/libav-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: GIF encoder transparency support

Carl Eugen Hoyos-2
2017-03-29 17:04 GMT+02:00 Jonathan Meson <[hidden email]>:

> I've been working with GIF encoding and was trying to encode GIFs with
> transparency support

This is ticket #4443, patch welcome!

Carl Eugen
_______________________________________________
Libav-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/libav-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: GIF encoder transparency support

jona
Thanks, I did see this ticket #4443

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/4443

However, I'm a bit lost on what exactly is missing and thought someone here might had worked on it and could tell me what is missing so I could dive in and hopefully patch it. I'm willing to put a $200 bounty for this to be resolved. Not sure if it's too little but some money hopefully helps...

Thanks!
- Jona

Jonathan Meson
Founder and CEO, Visual Blasters
Creator of FlipaClip
717-813-4287

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 6:07 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <[hidden email]> wrote:
2017-03-29 17:04 GMT+02:00 Jonathan Meson <[hidden email]>:

> I've been working with GIF encoding and was trying to encode GIFs with
> transparency support

This is ticket #4443, patch welcome!

Carl Eugen
_______________________________________________
Libav-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/libav-user


_______________________________________________
Libav-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/libav-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: GIF encoder transparency support

jona
I'm currently looking at the GIF specs and everything seems good with the encoder...

Anyone can provide some tips to what might be missing here?

Thanks!

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 7:59 PM, Jonathan Meson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks, I did see this ticket #4443

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/4443

However, I'm a bit lost on what exactly is missing and thought someone here might had worked on it and could tell me what is missing so I could dive in and hopefully patch it. I'm willing to put a $200 bounty for this to be resolved. Not sure if it's too little but some money hopefully helps...

Thanks!
- Jona

Jonathan Meson
Founder and CEO, Visual Blasters
Creator of FlipaClip
<a href="tel:(717)%20813-4287" value="+17178134287" target="_blank">717-813-4287

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 6:07 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <[hidden email]> wrote:
2017-03-29 17:04 GMT+02:00 Jonathan Meson <[hidden email]>:

> I've been working with GIF encoding and was trying to encode GIFs with
> transparency support

This is ticket #4443, patch welcome!

Carl Eugen
_______________________________________________
Libav-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/libav-user



_______________________________________________
Libav-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/libav-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: GIF encoder transparency support

Carl Eugen Hoyos-2
2017-04-11 19:57 GMT+02:00 Jonathan Meson <[hidden email]>:
> I'm currently looking at the GIF specs and everything seems
> good with the encoder...

The encoder supports gif transparency fine (afaik), just test with
a pal8 file (for example png) that shows transparency as input.
(Or another gif)

As I tried (hard) to explain in the ticket, this is an issue with the
paletteuse filter: The palettegen filter produces a transparent
colour but the paletteuse filter overwrites (?) the palette afaict.

Sorry for the delay, I thought I could produce a poc to show
what has to be done but failed miserably;-)

Please do not top-post here, Carl Eugen
_______________________________________________
Libav-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/libav-user
Loading...