[Libav-user] Handling uncompressed 10-bit YUYV 422 (packed)

[Libav-user] Handling uncompressed 10-bit YUYV 422 (packed)

Gavin Smith

I've been a part-time user of ffmpeg (using cli), and I'm now trying out the API/SDK to perform some processing.

One keen feature I'm interested in is being able to encode or decode using a packed 10-bit YUYV 422 pixel format.  Thus far, I have noticed the 8-bits-per-component 'AV_PIX_FMT_YUYV422' pixel format but I have not seen a corresponding equivalent for 10-bits. I can appreciate that 10-bit formats are very awkward (CPU hardware is traditionally built for powers of 2).

Having searched the 'net, I've come across a few posts mentioning v210, but it appears to be referred to as a codec (http://obe.tv/about-us/obe-blog/item/21-faster-professional-10-bit-video-conversions).  Any assistance would be much appreciated..

* Environment:Ubuntu 17.04 (Zesty)
* GCC 6.3
* ffmpeg v3.2.4

Re: Handling uncompressed 10-bit YUYV 422 (packed)

> One keen feature I'm interested in is being able to encode or decode
> using a packed 10-bit YUYV 422 pixel format.

Decoding and encoding v210 is supported.
If that is not the feature you are searching for, please elaborate.

> * ffmpeg v3.2.4

Only current FFmpeg is supported here.

Re: Handling uncompressed 10-bit YUYV 422 (packed)

Gavin Smith
Thanks for your response.

I had a look at the example code (decoding__encoding.c) which is where my question originates, specifically in the video_encode_example(..) function.  I was trying to understand how I call pass in a packed 10-bit YUYV 422 format for encoding.

The code includes some of the following:

c->pix_fmt = AV_PIX_FMT_YUV420P;     // This is the pertinent code that had me interested.

frame->format = c->pix_fmt;
frame->width  = c->width;
frame->height = c->height;

Gavin.