[Libav-user] How do I work around no url.h

[Libav-user] How do I work around no url.h

Lucy_
Greetings all,

Tags: AVFormat, url.h, version 3.0.7, Ubuntu

I recently posted a bug (Trac #6211) because I wasn't sure how otherwise to contact the developers. A change (Trac #2059) approximately four years ago lead to the Url.h being removed from Avformat installation. At around the same time development for Vega Strike dried up and the Open Source project was all but mothballed.

Now, I am working through the project to bring the stable release back to some kind of functionality and to actually get it compiled. With the changes that FFMPEG has made, this has become all but impossible. At least not without help and guidance given what I can only assume is a lack of documentation in the area.

Myself and a few others were working on an "incomplete type definition" of some kind relating to "h->priv_data =f;" or _url_open(). Solutions posted on Stack Overflow for similar problems indicated that there was an include missing. Given how this worked before, I did think this was odd at the time, but nevertheless from looking at the documentation for the FFMPEG Avformat library, we found what should be included and typed in

"#include <url.h>"

Very quickly, this met with a fatal: file not found, compilation error. After a fair few hours scouring, and making rather silly attempts at fixing it (now that we look back) I went to actually go find the file, only to find it wasn't present at all in the library or even associated libraries. An online search took some digging and some custom search commands to find Trac #2059 that indicated url.h had been removed entirely.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to find any documentation to assist with working my way around this, particularly as the documentation for the Vega Strike project is also woefully lacking. Hence I am writing to the mailing list to find out how to bring it up to spec, searching for access to information where we can read up.

We have a github issue for this (Vegastrike-Taose #11) and any guidance would be appreciated getting this compilation error fixed.

Kindest Regards
Taose

References
Trac #6211, Taose Access: [https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/6211#ticket], 2017
Trac #2059, Mustrumr Access: [https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/6211#ticket], 2012
Vegastrike-Taose #11, Taose Access: [https://github.com/Taose/Vegastrike-taose/issues/11], 2017

Re: How do I work around no url.h

Brian Brice
It sounds like you're wanting to access the new APIs within libavformat/avio.h.

It's not exactly a drop-in replacement.  Things have changed quite a
bit since those old URL days.

http://heapify.org/