[Libav-user] LGPL license and iOS

Deepa Pai
Hello,

I need to use ffmpeg for one of my iOS project. I will not be using GPL part and make sure that ffmpeg version is LGPL.
Since iOS environment is not compatible with LGPL, I would like to get commercial license.

FFmpeg Legal team mentions that "FFmpeg is not available under any other licensing terms, especially not proprietary/commercial ones, not even in exchange for payment."

Is it valid to use ffmpeg libraries if I reach out the original authors of the code and ask them to grant me commercial license?

Thanks and Regards,
Deepa

Re: LGPL license and iOS

Paul B Mahol
On 6/20/17, Deepa Pai <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I need to use ffmpeg for one of my iOS project. I will not be using GPL part
> and make sure that ffmpeg version is LGPL.
> Since iOS environment is not compatible with LGPL, I would like to get
> commercial license.
>
> FFmpeg Legal team mentions that "FFmpeg is not available under any other
> licensing terms, especially not proprietary/commercial ones, not even in
> exchange for payment."
> Ref: https://ffmpeg.org/legal.html <https://ffmpeg.org/legal.html>
>
> Is it valid to use ffmpeg libraries if I reach out the original authors of
> the code and ask them to grant me commercial license?

No.