[Libav-user] Using Videotoolbox H.264 decode on MacOS

[Libav-user] Using Videotoolbox H.264 decode on MacOS

Philippe Noël
Hello,

I'm trying to use Hwaccel H.264 decoding on MacOS. I have MacOS Catalina (Late 2015 model) and when I run "ffmpeg -hwaccels" it shows "videotoolbox" twice. From the FFmpeg website, it seems videotoolbox is implemented for both encode and decode of H.264 videos.

I've found the encoder name, "h264_videotoolbox" but I can't find the name to feed to "avcodec_find_decoder_by_name" for the videotoolbox decoder. I was searching online and couldn't find much, but found that apparently standard "h264" decoder will use videotoolbox hwaccel if properly set up, is that correct? How should I proceed to decode H264 with videotoolbox, how do I tell the decoder to use videotoolbox hwaccel with h264, or what is the name of the videotoolbox decoder?

Thanks for your help!

Philippe

Re: Using Videotoolbox H.264 decode on MacOS

BIGLER Don (Framatome)

Here is an example from the QtAV library:

https://github.com/wang-bin/QtAV/blob/master/src/codec/video/VideoDecoderVideoToolbox.cpp