[Libav-user] Using ffmpeg libraries to stream pre-encoded h264 via rtmp

[Libav-user] Using ffmpeg libraries to stream pre-encoded h264 via rtmp

Steve Green
Is it possible to setup a format context, and add a stream such that I can create my own AVPacket with H264 encoded frames, av_interleaved_write_frame() into that stream and have it all go out as rtmp?

I’ve tried to figure it out, but Im not sure it’s possible.  For example, what codec and settings would I use for the stream given that I don't actually need ffmpeg to do any H264 encoding?  I see that there’s a “copy” codec for use on the command line but I’m not sure if I that’s what I want to use with avcodec_find_encoder().

Do I need to call avcodec_encode_video2 or can I simply create my own AVPacket with the H264 frames in the data/size/flags?

If I can get this to work, I’ll mux in an audio stream but I’d be happy just to see basic video working first.

Any suggestions or starting points would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks..

Re: Using ffmpeg libraries to stream pre-encoded h264 via rtmp

MXWendler LibAV

> Any suggestions or starting points would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Steve,

if you already have encoded data and all you want is to stream RTMP or
any other format, check lib555 from http://www.live555.com/
It is open source and pretty easy to use with libav.

Best,
Heiner

> Thanks..

Re: Using ffmpeg libraries to stream pre-encoded h264 via rtmp

Steve Green
Hi Heiner.

I took a cursory look at live555 but I didn’t see any mention of RTMP.  I see RTSP all over the place, however.  Are you certain that it’s in there somewhere?

Thanks,
-S