[Libav-user] Using specific codec with libavcodec

[Libav-user] Using specific codec with libavcodec

Simon Brown
Hi,
I'm trying to run some code to decode FFmpeg frames and output them in a custom format.  I have started with the demux_decode sample file and it runs, and decodes frames.  However, I'm running on a Raspberry Pi 4 and have built FFmpeg and libraries from the latest git head with the MMAL hardware accelerated enabled.  The decoder chosen is the standard h264 decoder, not the hardware accelerated version, so it decodes very slowly!  How can I specify which codec to use when running from C code?

The current code uses:
avcodec_find_decoder - but that doesn't seem to pick the MMAL decoder.

Any help gratefully received,
Thanks,
Simon

Re: Using specific codec with libavcodec

Carl Eugen Hoyos-2
Am Fr., 1. Nov. 2019 um 13:27 Uhr schrieb Simon Brown <[hidden email]>:

> I'm trying to run some code to decode FFmpeg frames and output them in a custom format.  I have started with the demux_decode sample file and it runs, and decodes frames.  However, I'm running on a Raspberry Pi 4 and have built FFmpeg and libraries from the latest git head with the MMAL hardware accelerated enabled.  The decoder chosen is the standard h264 decoder, not the hardware accelerated version, so it decodes very slowly!  How can I specify which codec to use when running from C code?

A quick test to try if another decoder works at all is to disable
the default decoder at compile time with "--disable-decoder=h264"