[Libav-user] libx264 library direct usage vs. FFmpeg wrapper routines

[Libav-user] libx264 library direct usage vs. FFmpeg wrapper routines

black copper
I want to experiment with libx264 encoding routines (using its library). Since it is already present inside FFmpeg libraries; I would like to know is there any benefit I could expect to achieve by compiling and using libx264 directly; instead of using it via FFmpeg libs?

Re: libx264 library direct usage vs. FFmpeg wrapper routines

black copper
Hi,

Has anyone tried a similar exercise? Would really appreciate any cues from everyone...

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 4:38 PM, black copper <[hidden email]> wrote:
I want to experiment with libx264 encoding routines (using its library). Since it is already present inside FFmpeg libraries; I would like to know is there any benefit I could expect to achieve by compiling and using libx264 directly; instead of using it via FFmpeg libs?

Re: libx264 library direct usage vs. FFmpeg wrapper routines

Talgorn François-Xavier
Hi,
I didn't try this. Sorry.
If you don't get any answers, it means that no one knows.
Or may be the guy who knows is unfortunately in vacation ;-)
From my personal and humble experience, if someone on this list has an answer, you usually get it fast.

Le 16 oct. 2015 à 07:58, black copper <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Hi,

Has anyone tried a similar exercise? Would really appreciate any cues from everyone...

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 4:38 PM, black copper <[hidden email]> wrote:
I want to experiment with libx264 encoding routines (using its library). Since it is already present inside FFmpeg libraries; I would like to know is there any benefit I could expect to achieve by compiling and using libx264 directly; instead of using it via FFmpeg libs?

Re: libx264 library direct usage vs. FFmpeg wrapper routines

Stefano Sabatini-2
In data Thursday 2015-10-15 16:38:02 +0500, black copper ha scritto:
> I want to experiment with libx264 encoding routines (using its library).
> Since it is already present inside FFmpeg libraries; I would like to know
> is there any benefit I could expect to achieve by compiling and using
> libx264 directly; instead of using it via FFmpeg libs?

Well, the main advantage is that you can rely on the FFmpeg
framework. That means that you can use the FFmpeg utilities, and if
you plan to use a diffrent codec/implementation at some point, you
simply have to change the codec and options, and you're done (so you
don't need to learn a new library).

The drawback is that for using FFmpeg you need to know the FFmpeg API
(which are more complex than those of libx264), and need to rely on
the huge FFmpeg library (though you can configure FFmpeg to only
select the few components you need to use).

HTH

Re: libx264 library direct usage vs. FFmpeg wrapper routines

Carl Eugen Hoyos
black copper <blackcopper1@...> writes:

> I would like to know is there any benefit I could
> expect to achieve by compiling and using libx264
> directly; instead of using it via FFmpeg libs?

Simplicity comes to mind.

Re: libx264 library direct usage vs. FFmpeg wrapper routines

black copper
Hi all:

I really appreciate all the answers - each one makes perfect sense to me.

Thanks!