Undefined reference to `av_free' when compiling GRASS GIS

Undefined reference to `av_free' when compiling GRASS GIS

Marco Pasetti-2
Hi list,

I built latest SVN snapshot of FFMPEG on MSYS/MinGW. I configured FFMPEG as follows:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/ffmpeg \
--enable-shared \
--disable-static \
--enable-gpl \
--enable-memalign-hack

Then, when I build GRASS with FFMPEG support, I get the following error:

undefined reference to `av_free'

all the flags to FFMPEG libraries have been correctly set.

I also tried to configure FFMPEG with --enable-libfaac --enable-libfaad --enable-libmp3lame, as suggested in the mailing lists homepage, but configure failed.

Where could be the problem?

Many thanks,

Marco

Re: Undefined reference to `av_free' when compiling GRASS GIS

Stefano Sabatini
On date Friday 2008-06-13 13:21:27 +0200, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I built latest SVN snapshot of FFMPEG on MSYS/MinGW. I configured FFMPEG as follows:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/ffmpeg \
> --enable-shared \
> --disable-static \
> --enable-gpl \
> --enable-memalign-hack
>
> Then, when I build GRASS with FFMPEG support, I get the following error:
>
> undefined reference to `av_free'
>
> all the flags to FFMPEG libraries have been correctly set.

Post the command which fails and the complete output, also which is
the output of: pkg-config --libs libavformat?

> I also tried to configure FFMPEG with --enable-libfaac
> --enable-libfaad --enable-libmp3lame, as suggested in the mailing
> lists homepage, but configure failed.
>
> Where could be the problem?

It's usually a library/header missing or not placed in the proper
place.

Read config.err, if you can't interpret it try to post its content
here or on ffmpeg-user.

> Many thanks,

Regards.

R: Undefined reference to `av_free' whencompiling GRASS GIS

Marco Pasetti-2
Hi Stefano,

>It's usually a library/header missing or not placed in the proper
>place.

>Read config.err, if you can't interpret it try to post its content
>here or on ffmpeg-user.

faac.h is missing. Isn't it included in FFMPEG source code. Is it an external suuport library/project?
I googled for the av_free function and I found this:

http://www.irisa.fr/texmex/people/dufouil/ffmpegdoxy/mem_8c.html

so I thought that the faac option should be enabled...

>Post the command which fails and the complete output

I got this:

OBJ.i686-pc-mingw32/gsd_img_mpeg.o: In function `gsd_close_mpeg':
C:/MSYS/local/src/grass-6.3.0/lib/ogsf/gsd_img_mpeg.c:182: undefined reference to `av_free'
C:/MSYS/local/src/grass-6.3.0/lib/ogsf/gsd_img_mpeg.c:183: undefined reference to `av_free'

>also which is
>the output of: pkg-config --libs libavformat?

sorry, I don't know how to do that! pkg-config is not a recognized command in MSYS/MinGW

Thanks

Marco

Re: R: Undefined reference to `av_free' whencompiling GRASS GIS

Stefano Sabatini
On date Friday 2008-06-13 15:02:08 +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hi Stefano,
>
> >It's usually a library/header missing or not placed in the proper
> >place.
>
> >Read config.err, if you can't interpret it try to post its content
> >here or on ffmpeg-user.
>
> faac.h is missing. Isn't it included in FFMPEG source code. Is it an external suuport library/project?

Definitively, you need to install the faad headers and libs, you
should be able to find many tutorials on the web regarding that
(someone even linked from the ffmpeg documentation page).

> I googled for the av_free function and I found this:
>
> http://www.irisa.fr/texmex/people/dufouil/ffmpegdoxy/mem_8c.html
>
> so I thought that the faac option should be enabled...
>
> >Post the command which fails and the complete output
>
> I got this:
>
> OBJ.i686-pc-mingw32/gsd_img_mpeg.o: In function `gsd_close_mpeg':
> C:/MSYS/local/src/grass-6.3.0/lib/ogsf/gsd_img_mpeg.c:182: undefined reference to `av_free'
> C:/MSYS/local/src/grass-6.3.0/lib/ogsf/gsd_img_mpeg.c:183: undefined reference to `av_free'

No, this is the output, but I also want to see the command which
issued this message (the one starting with gcc ...).

> >also which is
> >the output of: pkg-config --libs libavformat?
>
> sorry, I don't know how to do that! pkg-config is not a recognized command in MSYS/MinGW

Packages which deal with other headers/library usually use pkg-config
to detect which are the correct command line flags to use for
compilation, but I don't know how it works in this specific case, it
may be possible that the problem is pkg-config missing.

Regards.

R: R: Undefined reference to `av_free'whencompiling GRASS GIS

Marco Pasetti-2
Ciao Stefano,

forse ho trovato la soluzione. devo ancora compilare un po' di cose qui, quindi non ti posso dire subito, ma appena finito ti faccio sapere...
Grazie per il tuo aiuto.

Comunque, ricorda ai tuoi cari colleghi di lista che un po' più di educazione non sarebbe male. E' abbastanza fastidioso sentirsi continuamente chiamare idiota, quando probabilmente tutti loro assieme non fanno nemmeno metà della mia intelligenza... altrimenti di a loro se vogliono prendere il mio posto come ricercatore qui in università e nelle varie comunità di sviluppo internazionali a cui partecipo, che si facciano avanti.... Ok, ho sbagliato lista, ma con tutte le cose che leggo e faccio contemporaneamente un errore può anche capitare, no?

Comunque ancora grazie per la tua educazione. Saluti,

Marco

winmail.dat (4K) Download Attachment

R: R: Undefined reference to `av_free'whencompiling GRASS GIS

Marco Pasetti-2
>Ciao Stefano,
>
>forse ho trovato la soluzione. devo ancora compilare un po' di cose qui, quindi non ti posso dire subito, ma appena finito ti faccio sapere...
>Grazie per il tuo aiuto.
>
>Comunque, ricorda ai tuoi cari colleghi di lista che un po' più di educazione non sarebbe male. E' abbastanza fastidioso sentirsi continuamente chiamare idiota, quando probabilmente tutti loro >assieme non fanno nemmeno metà della mia intelligenza... altrimenti di a loro se vogliono prendere il mio posto come ricercatore qui in università e nelle varie comunità di sviluppo internazionali a cui >partecipo, che si facciano avanti.... Ok, ho sbagliato lista, ma con tutte le cose che leggo e faccio contemporaneamente un errore può anche capitare, no?
>
>Comunque ancora grazie per la tua educazione. Saluti,
>
>Marco

Sorry! I wanted to send that mail personally to Stefano, while I failed to press the right reply button.

Marco

Re: R: R: Undefined reference to `av_free'whencompiling GRASS GIS

Stefano Sabatini
On date Friday 2008-06-13 18:45:07 +0200, [hidden email] wrote:

> Ciao Stefano,
>
> forse ho trovato la soluzione. devo ancora compilare un po' di cose
> qui, quindi non ti posso dire subito, ma appena finito ti faccio
> sapere...  Grazie per il tuo aiuto.
>
> Comunque, ricorda ai tuoi cari colleghi di lista che un po' più di
> educazione non sarebbe male. E' abbastanza fastidioso sentirsi
> continuamente chiamare idiota, quando probabilmente tutti loro
> assieme non fanno nemmeno metà della mia intelligenza... altrimenti
> di a loro se vogliono prendere il mio posto come ricercatore qui in
> università e nelle varie comunità di sviluppo internazionali a cui
> partecipo, che si facciano avanti.... Ok, ho sbagliato lista, ma con
> tutte le cose che leggo e faccio contemporaneamente un errore può
> anche capitare, no?

Yes, maybe they are rude when they call people idiots, nonetheless I
think it is a normal reaction after *thousands* of mails of that kind,
and that gets pretty boring after many years.

Please note that for "idiot" they don't necessarily intend a person
lacking knowledge or intelligence, but people which simply don't want
or don't care about to spend some time reading the established posting
guidelines which are supposed to improve the usefulness of all the
lists, enabling help request to be replied in the correct place and
developers not to waste time on such boring and pointless discussions
(BTW I think that Michael contrived a good solution, I think it's
better for a user to spend some time learning the posting guidelines
that to be called an idiot). I know a lot of educated and intelligent
people which never learnt how to reply inline in a mail, no matter how
many times you tried to explain why it seems like a good idea to avoid
to top post.

Also don't forget that FFmpeg is a volunteer effort, the same persons
which showed to you a rude behaviour are the same persons which are
working hard on an excellent piece of software which is delivered for
free to you and to everyone.

> Comunque ancora grazie per la tua educazione. Saluti,

Ciao